Bay park is located in a section of Orange County called "Dr. Phillips" after the legendary citrus grower, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, Dr. Phillip Phillips. His name is on many parks, roads, schools and other structures throughout the area. It is also revered by many local charities and endowments.
Doc Phillips, his wife Della, and family moved to Orlando in 1905, where he amassed extensive land holdings and citrus acreage--and became one of the areas first millionaires. It was said that he could sell millions of oranges in one year.
By the 1920s, he owned an area south of Conroy Road which now includes such developments as Bay Hill, Orange Tree, Sand Lake Hills, and of course, Bay Park. In the late 1940s, Doc set up the Sand Lake Development company aimed at establishing a self-sustaining agricultural community in Southwest Orlando. It had it's own post office, fire department and grocery store. This community is still called Dr. Phillips.
Dr. Phillips died in1959--before the amazing growth of the area that began in the 60s with the land acquisitions of another legend, Walt Disney. Today, the community has over 40,000 residents, some of the best schools in Orlando, golf courses,country clubs, a cluster of upscale condos and townhouses, shopping centers, post office, high rise office complex, Olympic swimming pool, a dozen tennis courts and homes ranging in price from $250,000 and up. All of this is built on land either sold by the family corporation for development or land still owned and managed by Dr. Phillips Inc.
Bay Park was developed by Julian Properties in 1988.
News Activities Meetings Photos Information Awards Contact Links Home